Win the War on Common Denture-Related Problems
If you’ve lost your natural teeth, permanent dentures can be a perfect solution. Unlike appliances of the past, today’s full and partial dentures look and feel more like natural teeth. They’re more comfortable than the awkward false teeth your grandparents wore, and it’s easier to find an affordable dentist to craft your new dentures to perfection. Unfortunately, wearing dentures does require some adjustment, and denture problems can occur for both new and seasoned wearers. Here are tips for dealing with the most common issues you may face.
Denture Problems and Solutions
- Ill-fitting dentures cause a number of problems. As you age, your bones and gums will change, and dentures may not fit as well as before. The changes can lead to problems with speaking or eating, dentures that move around in your mouth, and mouth irritation. See an affordable dentist as soon as symptoms occur; do not attempt to adjust your dentures.
- Mouth and gum soreness is usually related to fitting problems, but it can also result from infections or poor hygiene. Be sure to keep your dentures clean. Oral anesthetics can be helpful to reduce pain, but see your dentist if soreness persists.
- Speaking problems are most common in new wearers. Speak slowly, and practice challenging words when you are alone. If laughing or smiling causes your dentures to move out of place, bite down gently and swallow to reposition them. Be sure to have your dentist in Detroit adjust the fit.
- Manage eating problems by taking small bites, eating slowly, and sticking to soft foods until symptoms resolve. Chew with both sides of your mouth at once; this method helps prevent tipping and movement of dentures. Commercial adhesives can be helpful, but they are not a replacement for professional adjustment.
- Cheilitis and stomatitis are serious infections caused by yeast overgrowth. Cheilitis causes pain, redness and cracking at the corners of your mouth. Stomatitis may manifest as small red bumps under upper dentures or general mouth redness. Both are treated with prescription medications and strict oral hygiene.
Dentures are intended to make your life easier, not harder; see your dentist immediately if you develop symptoms that interfere with daily living.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Michigan offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Detroit, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.