Posted under: Dental Technology, General
Posted on: June 8, 2014
Why Does Your Tooth Need a Dental Crown?
A dental crown or cap can protect a weak or damaged tooth for many years. After impressions of a patient’s tooth are made, crowns are customized in dental laboratories or clinics with specialized equipment. The crown covers all visible portions of a tooth at and above the gum line, and it looks and feels like the natural tooth. There are many types of dental crowns, made from a variety of durable materials, and they can correct many common dental problems in children and adults.
Types of Dental Crowns
- All-porcelain or all-ceramic dental crowns are good choices for front teeth because of their natural appearance and color-matching ability. They are also a good option for people with metal allergies.
- Combination or porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns provide a strong and natural-looking surface with the benefit of added durability.
- Composite resin crowns are less expensive than other types, but they are also weaker and more vulnerable to fracture.
- Metals and metal alloys such as gold, nickel, chromium, and palladium are used to make permanent dental crowns. With metal crowns, less of the natural tooth is removed, and their durable nature provides a strong chewing surface. Because metal crowns are highly visible, they are usually reserved for molars.
- Stainless steel crowns are preformed, temporary crowns that protect teeth while permanent crowns are being made. They are affordable and can be placed in a single visit.
There are a number of reasons your tooth may need a dental crown:
- A dental crown can prevent a weak tooth from breaking, or hold parts of a broken tooth together.
- Crowns can support and protect a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t much left of its natural structure.
- A crown or cap can hold a dental bridge in place or enhance its appearance.
- A crown is the finishing step in a root canal treatment or dental implant procedure.
- Dental crowns can solve most cosmetic tooth problems.
- Temporary dental crowns reduce the need for general anesthesia.
- Temporary stainless steel crowns are placed over children’s primary teeth that are weak or at high risk of decay.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Michigan offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Detroit, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.