The Foods to Choose or Lose to Prevent Tooth Discoloration
While there’s no denying the importance of regular brushing and flossing, you may be surprised to learn how your diet can have a major effect on your smile. Discover which foods should fill your plate and which ones should be overlooked to keep your smile white and bright.
Say No to Foods that Cause Tooth Discoloration
Are your dark, discolored teeth eating away at you? Most people don’t realize that the foods and drinks that cause them great pleasure can also cause the discoloration of teeth. All of these foods can sabotage your smile:
- Sugary Beverages – Sugary drinks like sodas, sports drinks, and fruit juices are full of the simple sugars and acids that can erode enamel, which makes teeth appear much darker.
- Dark Drinks – Dark-colored beverages like coffee, tea, and red wine can lead to stained teeth, as well as weaken tooth enamel with their powerful acids.
- Sweet Snacks – Most candies and gums are all sugar, which can attack teeth and remove their white enamel.
- Starch-Stuffed Foods – Starchy items like white breads, rice, potatoes, pastas, and cereals are full of sneaky sugars that can deplete tooth enamel.
Open Wide for Foods that Fight the Discoloration of Teeth
Just as eating the wrong foods can stain your teeth, choosing the right ones can keep them white. The key to a brighter smile is eating a balanced diet with a wide range of nutrients. To keep your smile white, make these part of your meals and snacks:
- Water – In addition to being the best way to quench your thirst, it’s the smartest way to avoid stained teeth. See, water rinses away the sugars, acids, and hidden food particles that can wear away enamel and result in tooth discoloration.
- Sugar-Free Drinks – If plain water won’t do, then opt for sugar-free drinks since they also rinse away the substances that can attack your teeth over time.
- Milk and Cheese – Along with neutralizing acids in the mouth by increasing your saliva flow, all of the protein and calcium in these dairy sources can strengthen teeth and prevent the erosion of their white enamel.
- Fish and Flax Seeds –These choices are full of omega-3 fatty acids, which are the strongest anti-inflammatory nutrients. And foods that reduce inflammation may protect you from gum disease.
- Cocoa – Research shows that cocoa can also lessen inflammation, while protecting you from tooth decay and enamel erosion.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at (855) 979-3393 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.