Posted on: May 24, 2015
Take a Bite Out of Tooth Sensitivity
Are your sensitive teeth eating at you and you’re not sure what to do? If you can’t take the ache from hot and cold foods, follow these helpful for both treatment and prevention of tooth sensitivity.
Know the Cause of Sensitive Teeth
Tooth sensitivity occurs when a tooth’s enamel or gums have severely diminished, exposing a deeper layer of the tooth called dentin. This layer is directly connected to the nerves of the tooth, which makes contact with extreme temperatures or touch feel extremely painful. Sensitive teeth are usually caused by harsh brushing, abrasive toothpastes, an acidic diet, or medical conditions. Fortunately, a specialist in family dentistry can help you avoid or address the issue.
Avoid the Pain
There are some simple steps that you can take to avoid tooth sensitivity in the first place or stop it from coming back. These include:
- Brush twice a day and floss daily.
- Use an extremely gentle touch when brushing your teeth.
- Choose a non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Limit the consumption of acidic foods and drinks.
- Tell an expert in family dentistry if you feel any signs of sensitive teeth.
Visit a family dentistry expert at the first sign of sensitive teeth. Discuss your dental discomfort and get a complete examination. If you’re dealing with sensitive teeth, there are both at-home and in-office treatment options, including:
- Select a toothpaste for sensitive teeth to avoid further enamel erosion.
- Use a high-fluoride gel, rinse, or toothpaste to protect against future decay.
- Have a protective resin or coating painted onto your teeth.
- Consider bonding or crowns to protect and strengthen severely decayed teeth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Michigan offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Detroit, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.