We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: October 11, 2015
Stop Tooth Sensitivity from Becoming a Perpetual Pain
Don’t settle for suffering with sensitive teeth. Discover what’s causing your case and sink your teeth into real relief.
Facing the Facts of Tooth Sensitivity
Have you experienced a stinging or piercing pain in your teeth when they touch something cold, hot, sweet, or sour? Or maybe your teeth start to tingle when you breathe in cold air? These are all signals of sensitive teeth. The problem appears when your tooth enamel erodes or your gum tissue recedes, exposing the lower layer called dentin. This dentin is close to the nerves and roots of the teeth, so when it encounters extreme temperatures, they reach the nerves and produce a pain.
What Causes Sensitive Teeth?
Tooth sensitivity can suddenly strike anyone for any number of reasons. But to get to the root of your problem, you should see an affordable dentist to spot the source of your struggle. Yet most cases of sensitive teeth result from one or more of the following causes:
- Tooth enamel erosion from harsh brushing
- Using a hard-bristled toothbrush
- Cracked, chipped, or broken teeth Tooth decay
- Gum disease
- A plaque buildup at the tooth’s roots
- Grinding teeth, which wears down enamel and exposes the sensitive dentin of the tooth
- Long-term use of abrasive toothpastes and mouth rinses
- Using teeth whitening products
- Tooth sensitivity is most common in adults between the ages of 25 and 30
- Dental procedures, such as cleanings or restorations, can cause temporarily sensitive teeth
Steps to Subdue the Pain of Sensitive Teeth
There are ways to alleviate your pain. An affordable dentist can introduce you to the most useful and cost-effective treatments to diminish your ache. After your dental examination, your dentist can offer the remedies to relieve your sensitive teeth. Some advanced cases may require an in-office treatment, but most people can get relief with these simple at-home steps:
- Brush and floss very gently, yet thoroughly, to clean your entire mouth.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to avoid further tooth enamel erosion and gum recession.
- Limit your intake of highly acidic foods and beverages, which can eat away at enamel.
- Select special, de-sensitizing toothpaste.
- Seek treatment for tooth grinding, which can wear away tooth enamel.
- Get regular, professional check-ups and cleanings to prevent this pain in the future.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Michigan offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Detroit, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.