We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: June 16, 2015
Stop Stress from Starting Oral Health Problems
Doctors are always warning about how stress affects your body and mind, but few mention the many ways that worry can impact your oral health. Now, researchers found a direct link between stress and the state of our oral health. With new evidence showing that stress can contribute to dental problems, it’s important to know how to handle your hassles before personal strain causes dental pain.
The Dental Dangers of Stress
While we’re starting to see how stress can be a key factor in oral health, many may not be aware of the dental conditions it can cause. Check out this list of oral health risks:
- Canker sores are a mystery to many but are often brought on by stress.
- Dry mouth occurswhen the mouth lacks moisture and often results directly from stress or drugs that depression.
- Burning mouth syndrome is felt in pain throughout the mouth and is often attributed to psychological problems.
- Bruxism is another name for tooth grinding and another problem caused by stress.
- Oral lichen planus appears as a series of oral sores and is thought to be a reaction to stress-induced viral infections.
- TMJ/TMD can be caused by the tooth grinding and trauma that often occur when facing anxiety and depression.
- Gum disease can make you more susceptible to infections like periodontal disease.
The Harm on Dental Care
Stress is often seen in direct dental damage, but it also has an indirect impact on your dental care habits. People feeling and facing stress tend to neglect their oral health hygiene, forgetting to brush and floss correctly, and skipping regular dentist visits. Many to start to eat poorly and choose more sugary options. This eventually leads to dental problems, which only increase their anxiety. So stress does more than cause dental damage, it’s also one of the painful effects.
The Path to Peace
While stress is a part of life, you need to learn how to handle your hassles in order to stay healthy. Try following these helpful tips to ease your mind and care for your body:
- Keep up a good oral hygiene regimen.
- See an affordable dentist in Detroit if you’re concerned that stress is harming your teeth and gums.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Seek professional help if you experience extreme anxiety or depression.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Michigan offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Detroit, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.