We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: July 19, 2015
Scrape Up the Truth on Tongue Scraping
Are you suffering from bad breath or struggling with a white tongue? It may shock you to learn that these issues are often caused by bacteria. Bacteria can build up on your tongue and can lead to these problems and others. To easily end your dental discomfort, you should pick up the practice of tongue scraping.
Benefits of Cleaning Your Tongue
Just as bacteria can build up on your teeth, it can also collect on your tongue and lead to many dental concerns. That’s why dentists advise cleaning your tongue as often as you clean your teeth. By cleaning your tongue regularly, you can experience all of these benefits:
- Beat bad breath: Since your tongue is so large, it offers plenty of room for debris and bacteria to collect. If not removed, these particles produce a bad odor that results in very bad breath.
- Cure a case of white tongue: This occurs when there are so many bacteria on your tongue that they create a weird white coating. Yet cleaning your tongue can wipe off the white coating and get your tongue looking rosy again.
- Improve your overall dental health: By removing the bacteria on your tongue, you are reducing your risk of it spreading to your teeth and gums. This decreases the development of dental problems to result in a healthier mouth.
Top Tools for Tongue Scraping
Now that you know the importance of cleaning your tongue, you need to know the best ways to do it. Tongue scraping is a very simple process that can be done with the following tools:
- Tongue Scraper: This tool is specially made for scraping off the bacteria that’s built up on your tongue. It’s very easy to use and can be found in different styles in drugstores. You simply glide the tool down your tongue, from the back to the front, to wipe away any buildup. Repeat the scraping process until you’ve cleaned the entire tongue.
- Toothbrush: This is also a handy tool for cleaning your tongue because its soft bristles allow you to scrub your tongue thoroughly, while its longer handle lets you reach farther back on your tongue. Simply brush the bristles in a back-and-forth motion over your tongue to remove any debris. Some toothbrushes feature a tongue scrubbing area on the back of the bristles specifically for this task, so dentists recommend using both the bristles and the special scrubber to thoroughly clean your tongue.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Michigan offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Detroit, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.