Your dental health is important, and our patients’ safety is our top priority.
We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern. We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and all CDC guidelines very closely.
Practical Dental Care Tips for Your Braces and Retainers
Finding affordable braces can be a challenge, so you’ll want to be sure that your kids take the best possible care of their orthodontics. Once you invest in new braces for kids, it’s a good idea to plan a family discussion about proper dental care and maintenance. The following tips will help you structure a care routine and cope with common challenges your kids may face as they adjust to wearing braces.
Care Tips for Braces and Retainers
- Gently brush after every meal and snack. Use a soft brush, and brush down from the top and up from the bottom of each tooth.
- Use a Proxabrush after regular brushing to clean between the braces.
- When flossing, feed the short end of the floss through the space that separates the main arch wire from the upper portion of the tooth nearest the gum. Use a gentle, sawing motion.
- After brushing and flossing braces, brush the retainer.
- Disinfect the retainer daily by soaking it in denture cleaner and warm water.
- Use a mouth guard when playing sports.
- Use orthodontic wax to reattach loose brackets or improve comfort if braces or retainers cause mouth irritation.
- If a band becomes loose, save it and schedule an appointment with your orthodontist to have it cemented back into place or replaced.
- Use a pencil eraser to adjust broken or protruding wires into a more comfortable position. If this is not possible, use orthodontic wax to cover the protruding end. Do not try to cut the wire.
- Loose spacers must be repositioned or replaced by the orthodontist.
- If mouth sores develop from exposure to broken wires, rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash or warm, salty water.
- Avoid foods that are hard to bite, tough, or chewy, such as apples, raw carrots, bagels, chewy caramels, corn on the cob, popcorn, and nuts. Do not chewing gum or ice.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Michigan offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Detroit, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.