Posted under: Dental Technology, General
Posted on: April 28, 2014
Dental Implant Facts You May Not Know
Today’s affordable dental implants can transform a smile that has embarrassing gaps into a work of art. Whether you’re looking for a dental implant dentist, or you already have the best dental implants in your mouth, you may not know some of these interesting facts about the process and history of dental implants.
- As many as 69 percent of American adults from ages 35 to 44 are missing at least one tooth. One in four people older than 74 have lost all of their teeth.
- Out of all the available options for tooth replacement, only dental implants feel, look, and function like natural teeth.
- Around 600 AD, the Mayans attempted to replace the tooth of a woman by hammering a piece of shell into her jaw. Fortunately, modern implants are safer and more effective.
- Most dental implants are made from titanium. They are surgically placed into the jaw to serve as a root for a missing tooth and to hold an artificial tooth or crown.
- Teeth restored by implants cannot get cavities. However, good dental hygiene is still important to keep surrounding tissues healthy.
- Dental implants are actually helpful for reducing bone loss.
- If you are searching for a dental implant dentist in Detroit, look for one who has credentials from the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID). These dentists have demonstrated competence and met national education standards in implantology.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Michigan offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Detroit, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.