We are open - safety is our top priority!
7 Essential Tips for Cavity Prevention
Anyone with teeth can get a cavity; the problem occurs when tooth enamel is damaged and a hole forms on the tooth’s surface. If it remains untreated, the cavity will become larger. Eventually, the tooth fractures or nerve exposure causes pain. Diets full of sugary drinks and snacks and lack of proper oral hygiene are responsible for many cavities in kids and adults. The adults and children tooth decay affects the most are those who aren’t practicing consistent dental care.
When followed consistently, the tips listed below can help you with cavity prevention. For more detailed information and to obtain treatment for existing tooth decay, consult your dentist in Detroit.
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste, brush twice daily and after meals when possible, and floss every day. If you are unable to brush after meals, rinse with plain water to remove food debris.
- Eat healthy, tooth-friendly foods like fresh fruits and vegetables and unsweetened drinks. Try to avoid chips, candies and sweets that get stuck in your teeth unless you can brush immediately after eating them.
- Limit snacks. If you snack or sip on beverages throughout the day, your oral bacteria will produce acids that hasten the destruction of tooth enamel.
- Consider using a fluoride mouth rinse If you are at significant risk of developing cavities.
- Drink fluoridated tap water regularly.
- If you have a tendency to develop tooth decay, ask your dentist about professional dental sealants. Sealants are applied to the chewing surface of each back tooth to seal off the grooves that collect residual food and harbor plaque. You may also discuss professional fluoride treatments or antibacterial mouth rinses.
- Affordable dentists are your smile’s best friends. Visit your dentist regularly for exams and professional dental cleanings.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Detroit, call Gentle Dental of Michigan today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Michigan offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Detroit, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Michigan, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Michigan.